Thursday, October 8, 2009

Janey Shared a Recipe with Me!

While chatting with my sweet friend Janey this morning, I asked if she had a good bean soup recipe. You know she did, you know its delicious and we are suckin it up tonight! She said I can share her recipe here!

  DSCF0342-001 DSCF0348-002 DSCF0349-003 DSCF0350-004 DSCF0352-005 DSCF0355 web

Hayride Kitchen Bean Soup (from Janey)

2 cans white navy beans

2 cans Trappey's Pinto beans with jalapeno peppers

2 cans Campbell's Bean & Ham soup

1 can hominy

2 cans chopped ham........

1 lg onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped

1 cup water........or chicken broth

Put all ingredients in a heavy pot and cook for 2 hr.  Serve with Mexican corn bread.

Hayride Kitchen used to be where Elvis Presley played here in Shreveport. After he died, they turned it into a restaurant.

Little adjustments I made to the recipe. I used creamed white navy beans, added cream of mushroom and split pea with ham soup, both by Campbells. I also added 1/2 cup of celery, 1/4 cup green onion, one heaping tablespoon garlic and Tony’s Cajun seasoning and some extra jalapenos. I used chicken stock instead of water. I garnished with chopped green onions. Thank you Janey, this dish is delish!

For dessert I made something super simple and delicious. I took fresh french bread that was baked late this afternoon at Simoneaud’s Grocery, sliced a few 1/2 inch pieces, toasted it lightly, topped them with cream cheese and a little of those blackberry preserves Deb made a few Sundays ago when they were visiting.

0006

Enjoy and don’t forget to visit my dear friend Janey’s blog!

1 comment:

Virginia G said...

mmm... yummy. I do love a good bean soup. Especially now that it's getting cold.