Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Caprese Salad and Peach Tea

A few nights ago after a little shopping trip to my local Sam’s Club I made a yummy and very easy Caprese Salad. The mozzarella cheese came pre-sliced in a package and made it super easy to use in our salad and definitely inspired this dish.

DSC_5801-013

The ingredients are few and simple and include tomatoes, I love the vine ripe tomatoes that were available at Super 1 Foods this past weekend on sale for a mere .98 per pound, fresh basil from my garden, raspberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing, mozzarella cheese, golden cherry tomatoes from my garden, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.

DSC_5786-001

The fresh basil from my garden is so delicious and beautiful right now. I just can’t get enough of it!

DSC_5791-006

Assembly was super easy since the mozzarella cheese was pre-sliced at my local Sam’s Club store.

DSC_5792-007

First I sliced my tomatoes into  nice thick meaty slices, halved all of of the cherry tomatoes and stacked and cut the basil into thin strips. The reason I added the halved cherry tomatoes to the dish was because they are a little bit sweeter and paired well with the more acidic red vine ripe tomatoes, they added a nice sweetness to the dish. They just started ripening and the two plants I have really are going to yield quite a bit of yumminess from our garden this summer. The grandkids love picking and eating them fresh off the vine.

DSC_5790-005

I stacked the slices of tomato and mozzarella, sprinkled the cherry tomatoes and sliced basil around the serving plate, added a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and lastly drizzled the vinaigrette over everything.

DSC_5800-012

This delicious and easy to make salad was a nice addition to a simple supper for Dave and me that I served with a little corn and beef tomato soup I’d stored in the freezer earlier this spring that was made with corn from our garden and beef that Dave raised. I served peach tea with frozen peach slices and garnished with a little nectarine sliver, I didn’t have fresh peaches in the house so that substitute was perfect.

DSC_5804-015

I hope everyone is having a simply yummy summer filled with good food and making great memories with friends and family!

No comments: