Friday, May 30, 2014

Chicken Salad Recipe

I love making chicken salad and often am asked for my recipe, I just typed it out for our DIL Claire’s mom Beki so I thought I’d share here and ‘save’ it for myself, friends and family.

chicken salad

6 large boneless chicken breasts. 1 large white onion. 1 sweet bell pepper (orange, red or yellow are sweetest). 4 stalks of celery. 3 green onions. 1/3 cup parsley. Put them into a pot and heat to boiling in 4 cups chicken broth and add water to cover chicken and chopped veggies. Salt and Pepper to taste. (I just use Tony's More Spice so its not too salty once I add the Hellman's Mayo. When it comes to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for an hour uncovered. Watch that you don't lose all your moisture, add a tiny bit of water if needed. You want the broth at the end to be about a cup and a half. Remove chicken and cool, allowing veggies to cook until you've reduced the broth. Strain the veggies and mash them up, they will be nice and tender. Add to the shredded cooled chicken along with one cup of the broth and allow the chicken to absorb the juices.  Boil a dozen eggs. Peel and separate the whites from the yolks. Chop whites and add to the bowl of shredded chicken and veggies. Mash the yolks up very well, add about 20 ounces of Hellman's Mayo, (1/3 of the medium sized jar. Our family loves it very creamy so I often add the whole jar). I add about 3 tablespoons of Delmonte Ketchup and 3 tablespoons of French's yellow mustard, mostly for color and tang to the mayo/yolk mixture. I add about 1/2 cup of the remaining broth to that before adding it to the chicken and veggies. Mix everything together and season it to taste. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving or freezing. Freezing before the mayo mixture sets into the chicken won't make it as good when you defrost it. I save any leftover broth for use in my next chicken dish, it can also be frozen in a container or in ice cube trays to add to dishes later. If you have questions, just let me know.

No comments: